Students learn the concept of environmental stewardship as an act of philanthropy. They learn about the Monarch Butterfly, the four stages of its life cycle, and its dependence on the milkweed plant as a source of energy.
Focus Question: How is caring for the environment by protecting plants and animals related to civic responsibility?
The Learner will:
- understand the concept of stewardship of the Earth.
- understand that making an area more beautiful is an act of philanthropy.
- demonstrate philanthropy by working to raise money to purchase milkweed.
- recognize a milkweed plant as the source of energy for the Monarch caterpillar.
- develop an understanding of the four stages of the life cycle of the Monarch Butterfly.
- draw and label the four stages of the life cycle of the Monarch Butterfly.
- review the four stages of the life cycle of the Monarch Butterfly.
- listen and respond to a book about the life cycle of a butterfly.
- demonstrate understanding of the life cycle of a butterfly by using pasta to represent the four stages.
- understand that the Monarch Butterfly migrates to a warmer climate during the winter months.
- understand that the Monarch caterpillar is dependent on the milkweed plant for it’s energy and that the Monarch Butterfly needs the nectar of a variety of flowers to store energy for it’s migration.
- take home a letter to explain to the families the need for Monarch gardens.
The learners will raise money to purchase milkweed plants. They will also ask their parents to help them plant milkweed near their own home.
Teacher observation and the use of Attachment Two, Lesson Two: The Life Cycle of the Monarch Butterfly.
Remind learners to wash their hands after handling the milkweed plants as some milkweed plants are considered to be toxic.
See individual lessons for benchmark detail.
Lessons Developed By:
Albion Public Schools
All rights reserved. Permission is granted to freely use this information for nonprofit (noncommercial), educational purposes only. Copyright must be acknowledged on all copies.