The learner will:
- participate in a class discussion about self-discipline and character.
- select and reflect on a quotation about self-discipline.
Display this anonymous poem and discuss (Do you agree and how does it relate to self-discipline?):
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; for it becomes your destiny!!!
Display these quotes and ask the participants to choose one to reflect on in their journals:
- "Self-Discipline is a form of freedom. Freedom from laziness and lethargy, freedom from the expectations and demands of others, freedom from weakness and fear and doubt. Self-Discipline allows a pitcher [person]to feel his individuality, his inner strength, his talent. He is master of, rather than a slave to, his thoughts and emotions." --The Mental ABC's of Pitching by H.A. Dorfman
- "Self-discipline is when your conscience tells you something and you don't talk back." --W.K. Hope
- "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." --Vince Lombardi
- "The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. What ever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work." --Oprah Winfrey