Refugee Stories from Two Different Times and Places
The learners will:
- read accounts of refugees from WWII, Sudan, and the Syrian conflict.
- analyze conditions that impacted the refugees' lives and identify what their needs may be.
copies of the refugee stories (see handout below)
- Faez al Sharaa, 2015, excerpt from (https://time.com/a-syrian-refugee-story/)
- Asmaa Albukaie, 2014, from Ted Talk at https://theworld.org/stories/2016-10-20/idaho-s-first-syrian-refugee-wants-americans-understand-their-countrys-vetting
- Jacob Atem, 2001 https://www.gainesville.com/opinion/20160511/jacob-atem-a-life-changing-educational-journey
- Charlene Schiff, Jewish refugee from Poland after WWII (https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/oral-history/charlene-schiff-describes-difficulties-in-gaining-entry-to-the-united-states-in-the-aftermath-of-the-holocaust)
- Ukraine 2022 https://triblive.com/news/world/pittsburgher-who-walked-from-ukraine-to-poland-shares-stories-of-war-refugees/
Ask, "What do you think are the factors in a conflict that result in refugees needing to flee?" Discuss their ideas based on the readings and discussions in the past lessons.
Each young person reads stories of two different refugees and completes the chart in the Refugee Stories handout. They read to learn about the person's life before leaving their country, what caused the person to leave, details about the trip, two needs the person had, and who might have helped with these needs. Then, they form questions that arise from reflections on the readings and comparisons.
Debrief and Sharing – pair up readers to share brief details about the people they read about. Tell them to give a brief summary and share and discuss some of their observations.
Then, in the whole group, have them share their key observations about the similarities and differences in the different scenarios. The facilitator draws out thoughts about the needs people had, who might have helped, and how.
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 02. Diverse Cultures
Benchmark MS.2 Describe the importance of hearing all voices in a community and respecting their right to be heard.
Benchmark E.2 Discuss the importance of respect for others.
Benchmark HS.2 Give examples from history of how intolerance of ideas, religion, and minorities contributed to social disintegration.