The learner will:
- be able to state the definitions of selected vocabulary words.
- be able to match vocabulary word and definition.
- be able to use selected vocabulary words in complete sentences.
- increase their awareness of what philanthropy is about.
- Vocabulary Word List handout
- "Caring and Giving Vocabulary Word for the Week" sheet for vocabulary word and definition
- Folder or something to store the vocabulary words for creating student books
- Container to hold the vocabulary words
Write the word on the board and guide discussion to develop meaning.
- Students will write the word and definition on the supplied sheet.
- Elicit responses from students of examples of how they would illustrate the term.
- Students will then draw a picture illustrating the word making sure to include them in the illustration. For example, the word "community", the student can draw herself or himself helping the neighborhood community.
- Store the papers in a folder so that the students can keep a record of all the philanthropic terms throughout the year, which they will then compile into a book.
Students will have opportunities over the year to use the selected vocabulary in many situations. They will also keep a folder with all of the terms, which will be made into a book. Refer to the folders when evaluating students understanding of the various terms. Give a formal assessment in which the students must identify the vocabulary word as the teacher reads the definition.
Students will be able to communicate meanings of philanthropy by using the various vocabulary words.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark E.2 Define philanthropy and charity.