Students use standard software as they develop, research, and present a project related to community nonprofits.
- define community service and philanthropy.
- describe different types of voluntary action and give examples.
- identify the needs of the selected charitable organization.
- communicate the value of community service to their lives.
- make a creative and informative presentation.
Software for the following purposes:
- file management and sharing
- word processing
- flyer layout
The technology guidelines below set the expectations for research, analysis of needs, planning, and presenting about a nonprofit that addresses a need in the community.
The project begins with students identifying their interests and then researching a community nonprofit of their choice. The Blue Sky Activity may help students identify areas of interest.
They may work in groups.
Students make full use of the following technology and expectations to organize and present information about the nonprofit of their choice and its work and needs.
Applications and expectations:
- File Management – Copies of all electronic documents are saved in their personal network folder. Students organize, maintain and submit their work through the network.
- Diagramming or Mind Mapping – Using available tools, students create a diagram or flow chart to demonstrate the work of the selected organization.
- Excel– Students create a total of 4 worksheets displaying and analyzing information, including a comparison sheet and a chart. Worksheets must include formulas, functions, and correct formatting.
- Internet – Students use the Internet to research their charitable organization and issue area. Discuss media safety and use a checklist for determining reliability of website sources. Students maintain a bibliography of sources.
- Word – Use wordprocessing software for sharing information:
- Create a flyer to publicize an opportunity for students to participate in volunteering for the organization.
- Create a one-page informational piece advocating for the organization.
- Create a three-column brochure about the organization for prospective donors.
PowerPoint – Design a PowerPoint presentation to present to the class:
- Create a design template
- Make a title slide
- 5-7 slides of information about the chosen organization, including history and purpose, population served, services provided, and needs
- Answers to Essential Questions
- Clip art and pictures imported from the Internet, scanner or camera (have a permissions discussion)
- Video or sound recording
- Animation or custom animation
- Transition effects
- 3 hyperlinks to other resources.
- Printed notes pages to be used during the presentation and handed in.
See the handout to guide student exploration. Provide due dates for each assignment throughout the quarter.
Students answer the essential questions in their presentation:
- What is the definition of community service?
- What is the definition of philanthropy?
- What are different types of community service (ways to serve and take action)?
- What are the needs of the selected organization?
- How does community service impact your life?
- How can a middle school student actively participate in community?
Students complete a written reflection based on their experience of researching and presenting information on a charitable organization.