Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark HS.3 Explain and give examples of how a democratic constitution requires and protects philanthropic behavior as a democratic principle.
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 07. Skills of Civic Engagement
Benchmark HS.1 Utilize the persuasive power of written or oral communication as an instrument of change in the community, nation or the world.
In a persuasive essay, learners describe the responsibilities of American citizenship and the cost of freedom. They connect how philanthropic action is a part of those costs. “Freedom isn’t free. It passes on an enormous debt to the recipient.”
The learner will:
- identify Core Democratic Values that describe the privilege and responsibilities of citizenship.
- determine the cost of freedom.
- Core Democratic Values and Where They Originate in Our Founding Documents (handout below)
Make this statement for discussion: For every right of citizenship, there is a corresponding duty. Using an American history textbook, discuss the rights citizens have. See Core Democratic Values and Where They Originate in Our Founding Documents (handout). Now discuss need for responsibility to balance the rights. What are the duties of citizenship? Can philanthropy be considered a duty of citizenship? Maybe each person has a personal gift to give to their community to make it better.
Write the following statement for all to see and discuss:
Freedom isn’t free. It passes on an enormous debt to the recipient.
This is the topic for a persuasive essay for young people to write from their own passion for making the country a better place.
- Have I included a clear topic sentence, either at the beginning or the end?
- Is the content easy to follow with clear, concise sentences?
- Have I refuted the major opposing arguments and given additional supporting arguments?
- Is my subject debatable?
- Do I show an understanding of both points of view?
As a resource for others, select three to five essays which best exemplify the essay theme. Publish the essays or display the completed copies in tthe public library or in social media.