Strand PHIL.IV Volunteering and Service
Standard VS 03. Providing Service
Benchmark MS.1 Provide a needed service.
The learner will experience the process of identifying needs of the community and making decisions based on the urgency of those needs. They will also experience the planning process that occurs when developing steps to alleviate the need.
The learner will:
- demonstrate his/her understanding of philanthropy, service learning and volunteerism by planning and implementing a project that will have a positive impact on the local community.
- plan a service project for the local community.
- participate in the carrying out of the planned service project.
- The findings of the needs assessment surveys conducted by students in Lesson Eight: The Project—Assessing the Need.
- Local Need Assessment Worksheet and Action Plan Worksheet (see Attachments One and Two)
- Materials to carry out the selected plan
Anticipatory Set:Ask the class the question, "Can young people make a difference in their community?" Guide a brief discussion.
Students will compile a list of local needs (see Attachment One) based on the responses of the organizations contacted and the questionnaire sent in Lesson Five-A.
Each cooperative group will select a need to be addressed.
Each group of students will develop action plans and/or action steps for intervention and service to address the identified need (see Attachment Two).
The students will present their plans to the whole class for approval. The class will discuss each plan and its merits and select the one that can best be implemented. (Students may wish to combine the outstanding portions of several plans to create the best overall plan.)
The students will implement their plans and conduct ongoing evaluations periodically.
Observation of student participation. Completion of Local Need Selection Worksheet and Action Plan Worksheet according to directions (see Attachments One and Two). Organization of presentation to the whole class.