Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark HS.1 Define philanthropy to include giving and sharing; volunteering; and private individual action intended for the common good. Explain how a volunteer individual/group can act for the common good.
Standard DP 03. Names and Types of Organizations within the Civil Society Sector
Benchmark HS.2 Provide an example of an organization (or a service that it contributes) from a list of categories of civil society organizations.
Students will think back on their experiences and create portfolios that reflect their academic and personal growth from the project.
The learner will:
- Create a portfolio that summarizes their academic and personal growth.
- Celebrate and reflect upon their accomplishments.
- Portfolio Rubric (Handout One) Spanish version (Handout Four)
- Bulletin Board/Showcase Rubric (Handout Two) Spanish version (Handout Five)
- Assignment Guide and Rubric for Final Paper (Handout Three)Spanish version Six)
Anticipatory Set:Ask students to think about their experiences in this unit and identify what would be a good reflection of their learning that might be placed in a portfolio. Discuss.
Distribute Portfolio Rubric (see Attachment One), Bulletin Board/Showcase Rubric (Attachment Two), and Assignment Guide and Rubric for Final Paper (Attachment Three) to all students. Discuss the requirements for the assessment. Allow class time for preparing portfolios.
- A celebration that allows for students to reflect on their experience as a whole should be provided. If food is included, after eating, ask students to sit in a circle and share how they felt about the project and what was learned.
The portfolio will serve as the assessment for this unit.