Carnegie's Gift of Public Libraries
Ask the students to name a famous philanthropist. Listen to a few responses until you hear them name Carnegie. Tell them that there is a reason that Carnegie's name comes up, and this video will tell more about his gifts. Tell them them to be ready to discuss the benefits of a "matching grant."
- How did Andrew Carnegie make his fortune? Have someone look up the answer on the Internet.
- Why was he so generous in giving away his fortune? Have someone look up his philosophy of philanthropy.
- What do you like about his decision to set up libraries in communities across the country?
- What was the process that would bring a grant of $25,000 to a community to build a library?
- How can young people use the idea of a matching grant creatively to get buy-in from others?
Have the students look up on the Internet whether there is a Carnegie library in your community. Have them find the nearest one and write a summary of its story. Take a field trip to visit the library.