What Are Your Thoughts?
- interpret and describe the feelings of disparate characters.
- identify the responses of individuals to historic violations of human dignity involving discrimination.
- Taylor, Mildred. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. New York: Puffin Books, 1991.
Anticipatory Set:Ask the students to think of a time in their lives when they were disillusioned or when they found something they held to be true, to be false. For example, have you ever met someone you thought was really nice, only to determine they were anything but? How about believing in something only to find out later that it never existed (think of childhood experiences)?
- Refer to the Anticipatory Set. Explain to the students that Cassie was shocked when she came to the realization that people actually viewed her and her family as being inferior because they were African-American.
- Arrange the students up into groups, and assign each group one of the following roles:
- Cassie Logan
- Lillian Jean Simms
- Charlie Simms
- Big Ma
- Jeremy Simms
- Stacey Logan
- If there aren’t enough people to have exact groups, the first three characters are most important to this lesson. There can be as few or as many as you would like. Once the students are in their groups and their roles have been assigned, give each group a poster or handout with emotions on them. Ask the students to pick out the emotions they are feeling as “their” character in this situation. Ask them to present their feelings and speak, in character, to the class. Remind the students to express why they felt the way they did. If the other students in the class have questions, they may ask, or comment upon, the character’s choice of emotions.
- Cassie’s parents had not “brought her up” to feel inferior in any way. How did they do this? Why did they do this? Was it wise for them to take this course of action? How does the idea of community capital fit into a location where some of the residents are considered inferior and others superior?
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 02. Diverse Cultures
Benchmark MS.5 Discuss examples of groups denied their rights in history.