Youth in Action for Global Health
Youth discuss and examine ways to influence healthy food choices related to their interests and understanding. They brainstorm service projects and use a decision-making model to choose a project. They implement their service project and reflect on their action.
The learner will:
- interpret data related to food choice, farming practices, nutrition, transportation, and well-being.
- plan a service project to address an issue related to personal food choices.
- reflect on their service-learning process.
- demonstrate the impact of their action.
- copy of handout below Decision-Making Model - projected or printed
- food transportation system
- farming practices
- environmental impact
- advocate: to speak in defense or support of a particular person or issue
- food insecurity: the risk or fear of not having consistent access to food that meets people's dietary needs and food preferences
- resources: available supply or support that can be drawn on when needed or wanted
- undernourished: not having enough food to maintain health and growth
Brainstorm issues and concerns related to food equity and insecurity, promoting a variety of food choices, social pressure and body image, the environmental impact of farming, and food processing and transportation.
Then, through discussion and consensus, determine what concern or issue they would most like to address - either through an advocacy/information campaign, a fundraiser, or by donating their time.
Use the handout below Decision-Making Model to facilitate the discussion.
After determining a focus for a service project, they conduct research, connect with local nonprofits, make a plan, and carry out the project.
Be sure to include reflection before, during, and after the service.
Strand PHIL.III Philanthropy and the Individual
Standard PI 01. Reasons for Individual Philanthropy
Benchmark MS.5 Describe the responsibility students have to act in the civil society sector to improve the common good.
Strand PHIL.IV Volunteering and Service
Standard VS 01. Needs Assessment
Benchmark MS.1 Identify a need in the school, local community, state, nation, or world.
Standard VS 02. Service and Learning
Benchmark MS.1 Select a service project based on interests, abilities and research.
Standard VS 04. Raising Private Resources
Benchmark MS.3 Develop a service plan.