Discuss and debate the issues related to fast fashion, its impact on people and the planet, and how the issue can be addressed to promote responsibility and the common good.
- Research public or social issues related to the common good. Form an opinion and develop and present a persuasive argument using communication tools.
- Analyze and synthesize information to differentiate fact from opinion, evaluating the effects of individual actions on other people.
- Identify and describe the actions of how citizens act for the common good.
- Describe the responsibility we have to act in the civil society sector to improve the common good.
- Discuss the concept of corporate citizenship and corporate responsibility for the common good.
- devices to play Kahoot - LTG Fast Fashion
- CNN video about "Fast Fashion in the U.S. fueling an environmental disaster in Ghana" - LINK
- Cline, Elizabeth. Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
- Cline, Elizabeth. The Conscious Closet: The Revolutionary Guide to Looking Good While Doing Good
- Definition and pros and cons of Fast Fashion (Investopedia, 2022)
Talk about fashion and favorite places to buy clothes. Discuss what people like and why they shop where they do. Some people may shop at second-hand stores or make their own clothes. Find out what they like about doing that.
Introduce the concept of fast fashion, which is the mass production of clothes for a low price that go from designer to the store in a short time. They are intended to be worn for a short time and then thrown away. Discuss:
- Why is "fast fashion" a good name for this?
- What are some brands that are inexpensive and meant to be worn for a short time?
- What features do you look for when buying clothes (price, new style, uniqueness, quality, color, or other)?
- How many pieces of clothing do people need? How many do you have or want to have?
- How do you get rid of clothes when you are done? Where do they go?
Play the kahoot game linked above. Discuss the answers and what they learned about the impact of fast fashion on the environment and the people who manufacture the clothes.
Show the CNN video about the effects of fast fashion on people in Ghana. See link above.
- What are the pros and cons of fast fashion? How does this industry affect the common good of people and the planet?
- In what way does this awareness change the way you think about how you buy clothes?
- What can we do?
- What would you like other people to know and how can you tell them what you have learned?