PrintOne Thirty-Minute Class Period
The learner will:
- increase listening comprehension and use critical thinking skills.
- take turns.
- show respect for the work of others.
- build a block structure cooperatively.
- Building blocks of wood or plastic composition
- Anticipatory Set:
- Have the students go outside and look at the school building or another building near the school. Ask students what workers were needed to build the building (plumbers, carpenters, brick-layers, electricians, etc.). Ask them to explain why one group cannot do all of the work. If possible, get a picture book about construction to show the students.
- Explain to the students that they will be building a structure of their choice by taking turns placing blocks on the structure. You may give them two choices, such as a castle and a tower, and let them vote on what to build. They may not criticize another's placement of a block or remove a block; they must work with what has already been done before them.
- The teacher will start the structure, building one row for a base. Each student will take one block and select where on the structure to place it. Students may make the base larger than what you have started if they choose. Continue building until the entire predetermined amount of blocks has been used or until a predetermined amount of time has elapsed.
- The students may be reminded to take care not to remove another child's block, either on purpose or by accident.
- Display the "cooperative structure" with a sign listing all of the children's names that worked on the construction.
- Discuss with students why there was a rule that they had to take care not to remove another child's block. Discuss the importance of respecting the choices of others. Discuss the benefits of working in a group.
In assessing student work, check to see that the following was accomplished: Students took turns and waited for their turns without complaining. Students showed respect for the work of the previous students. Students completed a structure using the blocks provided.
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 01. Self, citizenship, and society
Benchmark E.3 Describe a benefit of group cooperation.