Changing for the Common Good
9, 10, 11, 12
Keywords & Concepts:
Participants cite philanthropic historical events on a timeline. They focus on events in which the nonprofit sector was used to make positive changes in society.
PrintOne Fifty-Five Minute Session
- The learner will:
- identify ways the nonprofit sector was used to make positive changes in society.
- place significant events related to marginalized groups and individuals on a timeline.
- access to the Learning to Give online Philanthropy Timeline
- printed copies of the handout Top Ten Historical Philanthropy Events
Review the meaning of the terms "nonprofit sector" and "for-profit sector." Review some organizations that work for the common good.
- Divide the group into five working groups. Assign these five time periods to the groups: 1600 - 1835, 1837 - 1896, 1900 - 1929, 1930 - 1975, 1976 - 2012.
- Using the Learning to Give Philanthropy Timeline, each group creates a “Top 10 List” of the greatest philanthropic events or actions in their time period. See handout below. Allow approximately 20 minutes for this activity.
Each group shares their top 3 - 5 historical events from their time period. Discuss: What are the connections from one time period to the others? What philanthropic events have happened since 2012?
Vote: What are the MOST significant philanthropic events in history?
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 01. Self, citizenship, and society
Benchmark HS.5 Describe civil society advocacy organizations and their relationship to human rights.
Standard PCS 02. Diverse Cultures
Benchmark HS.5 Describe how women and minority groups have used the civil society sector as an alternative power structure.
Benchmark HS.7 Identify and give examples of the important roles women and minorities have played in the civil society sector in history.
Standard PCS 05. Philanthropy and Government
Benchmark HS.4 Identify and discuss civil society sector organizations working to protect individual rights, equity, and justice.
Standard PCS 06. Philanthropy in History
Benchmark HS.1 Describe how the common good was served in an historical event as a result of action by a civil society sector organization.
Benchmark HS.5 Identify positive philanthropic historic acts or events that helped build the community, state, and nation.