Nonprofit Meets a Need for Refugees
Ask the students how much a bar of soap costs. Discuss the importance of soap in keeping our hands clean and reducing the spread of germs. If soap cost $500, would you still buy it? Tell the students to listen to this video to learn how one man made a big difference by repurposing bars of soap that were heading to the trash.
- What is the need Mr. Kayongo addressed?
- In refugee camps, families had to choose between food and soap because $1 for soap was a significant portion of their money. What do you think was the effect of not using soap?
- Do you think his solution was simple? What makes it sustainable?
- What are some needs you are aware of in your school and community?
- Get together with your classmates or a group of friends and brainstorm some simple solutions to an issue. Use design thinking to get innovative ideas.
- There is more information about the Global Soap Project online. Learn more details about Mr. Kayongo's process and motivations.