Philanthropy Self Evaluation
Youth Advisory Committee
In this activity participants learn how to note the changes their service and philanthropic actions has on them and their community. Participants will take pre and post surveys to evaluate how they've grown and they've made a positive impact.
What changes do you think philanthropy can cause in you? How can you take what you have learned through service to better your philanthropic actions in the future?
One meeting at the beginning of the year and one meeting at the end of the year
- Pens or Pencils
- Pre Philanthropy Survey (Attachment 1)
- Post Philanthropy Survey (Attachment 2)
- At one of the first meetings of the year have youth take the Pre Philanthropy Survey (Attachment 1). After allowing youth to complete the survey have a discussion about their answers. To prompt the discussion you could ask some of the following questions:
- Do you think you could share with community members the impact youth philanthropists have on the community? Why or why not?
- How significant of a change do you think youth can have on the community and others?
- What do you think as youth you have to offer the community and others?
- Is teamwork key to making a difference?
- How much do you know about the needs of your community?
- You may choose to write common answers down or save in a Word document. Collect the youth surveys and keep them until the end of the year, as the youth with be able to reference and compare their pre and post surveys.
- At one of the end of the year meetings for your youth philanthropy group, have participants take the Post Philanthropy Survey (Attachment 2). After allowing youth to complete the survey, hand them back their pre surveys and allow them to compare their answers. Have a discussion about their answers and what they've learned.
- To prompt the discussion ask similar questions as you did at the beginning of the year. Write the new answers on another piece of newsprint. Now compare how answers are similar and different. Be sure to ask:
- How have our answers changed?
- What are you surprised about that is different?
- What are you surprised about that is similar?
- What next steps should we take as a group to better our philanthropic actions for next year based off of what we learned?