Youth Advisory Committee
This activity will provide an opportunity for the youth and a professionals/community leaders to get acquainted. This will help start the team-building process among board members and youth philanthropists and demonstrate part of the process of “building community.”
How can you create relationships with local community members and professionals? What are some ways you can begin conversations with these people?
- Index cards or worksheet with introduction questions
- First plan a meeting where both youth and community members will be attending.
- Hand out index cards or worksheets on which the questions (listed below) have been written and ask each member to find someone he or she does not know well or who is new to the board.
- Instruct each set of partners to shake hands, exchange names and begin to answer the questions on the cards:
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite car?
- What kind of music do you like best? Who is your favorite performer?
- Where do you work? or Where do you go to school?
- Where were you born?
- Name a recent upcoming celebration in your life?
- What is a secret wish of yours?
4. After exchanging answers to those questions, each pair should find two others to meet. This time introduce one another to the new pair and tell the others one thing you learned about this person.
5. Reconvene the group to the board table and begin the meeting.