Through writing, students share their insights into taking responsibility with the resulting benefits or consequences.
The learner will:
- reflect on benefit/consequences of taking responsibility.
- reflect in writing in response to a quote.
- reflect on past, present, or future opportunities for taking responsibility.
The following quote written on the board: "You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change circumstances, the seasons or the wind, but you can change yourself." --Jim Rohn
Ask the students to think of a time in the future when they will need to show resonsibility in order to be safe and gain others' trust (examples: getting a drivers' license, applying to college, taking exams).
Teacher: Today, you'll be asked to share your thinking in your journal. As you write, think about the issues we have been discussing related to consequences of and motivations for taking responsibility. Consider in your reflection the role of the common good.
- a circumstance from your own experience where you did or didn't take responsibility and its benefits or consequences
- a future circumstance when you'll need to be responsible and its benefits or consequences
- reflecton what the quote means for the common good. Quote: "You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change circumstances, the seasons or the wind, but you can change yourself."-- Jim Rohn
This character education mini-lesson is not intended to be a service learning lesson or to meet the K-12 Service-Learning Standards for Quality Practice. The character education units will be most effective when taught in conjunction with a student-designed service project that provides a real world setting in which students can develop and practice good character and leadership skills. For ideas and suggestions for organizing service events go to www.generationon.org.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark MS.4 Give examples of how individuals have helped others.
Strand PHIL.III Philanthropy and the Individual
Standard PI 01. Reasons for Individual Philanthropy
Benchmark MS.1 Define and give examples of the motivations for giving and serving.