The learner will:
- define foundation and distinguish between the types of foundations.
- name three major foundations established in perpetuity.
- cite four major gifts that have been given for the common good by major foundations established in perpetuity.
- Foundation Terms (Attachment One)
- Matching Foundations Within the Correct Category Worksheet (Attachment Two)
- Web sites for Major Foundations Established in Perpetuity (Attachment Three)
Write the term "foundation" and its definition on the board. (An organization created from designated funds from which the income is distributed as grants to not-for-profit organizations or, in some cases, to people.) Review prior knowledge with the students by asking them to brainstorm and list on the board various foundations they have heard about or studied. This will take approximately five minutes.
Explain to learners that there are many different types of foundations. Distribute Foundation Terms (see Attachment One) and go over the definitions with students. Distribute Matching Foundations Within the Correct Category (see Attachment Two) and ask them to match the list of foundations within the correct category. Give students a few minutes to complete the worksheet and discuss the correct answers with them.
- Divide the learners into seven groups, and assign one of the major foundations established in perpetuity to each group. For our purposes, we will use the following foundations: Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford, Lilly, Kellogg, Kauffman, and Mott. Hand each of the groups copies of Web Sites for Major Foundations Established in Perpetuity (see Attachment Three), and let them read over the information. Using the computer lab, library, or classroom computer, have the learners research historical information on the various foundations, and have them list any major gifts that have been donated by the foundation. Have them present the information to the class on the following day.
The learner will be able to match a list of foundations within the correct category.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 05. Role of Foundations
Benchmark HS.1 Define the term foundation and describe the types of foundations.
Benchmark HS.4 Identify foundations established in perpetuity and major gifts given for the common good from their endowments.