Alphabody ABCs of Giving
The students develop a list of ABCs related to giving, and work cooperatively to create alphabet letters with their bodies.
The learner will:
- identify independent philanthropic opportunities.
- solve a problem using kinesthetic awareness.
- define philanthropy
- Philanthropic Menus (see handout)
- Philanthropic Menu Suggestions (see handout)
Brainstorm words about giving/kindness that begin with each letter of the alphabet. List words on the board and alphabetize them. See the handouts for ideas.
Tell each student to choose a partner. Working with the partner and using their bodies, have the students form each letter of the alphabet.
Have students act out the "giving/kindness" words for each letter of the alphabet.
Tell the students that they can say a big word that describes what they are acting out. Define the kindness/giving actions as acts of philanthropy. Define philanthropy as "giving time, talent, or treasure for the common good" (for the good of all, not just self).
- In what ways are the kind/giving actions they acted out good for all, the common good?
- Are those things also good for themselves?
- Can you do something that helps yourself and others at the same time?
Select a student team to demonstrate the "construction" of an alphabet letter with their bodies and also pantomime the action described for each letter.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark E.1 Define philanthropy as the giving and sharing of time, talent, or treasure intended for the common good.