Fairness and Philanthropy
In the final reflection, the learners connect the concepts of fairness and philanthropy through written a response to a quote or personal experience.
The learner will:
- respond in writing to a quote or personal experience.
- reflect on the vocabulary words fairness and philanthropy and connect the two concepts.
copies of the three quotes below
Write the word philanthropy for all to see. The definition of philanthropy is "giving time, talent, or treasure or taking action for the common good." Discuss how being fair benefits the common good.
Allow the learners to choose one of the quotes below and write what the quote tells them about fairness, taking action for the common good, and personal responsibility.
- "Prejudice covers the reasonless dislike of a person, the proofless distrust of anyone from another race or religion, the rejection without trial of a new idea or thing... and is an acquired attitude." --Colonel Oveta Culp Hobby (Texas lawyer, journalist, and politician; colonial/director of the Women's Army Corps)
- "There is enough for all. The earth is a generous mother; she will provide in plentiful abundance food for all her children if they will but cultivate her soil in justice and in peace." --Bourke Coekran (19th century politician and orator)
- "Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic? Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But conscience asks the question - is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is right." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
As an alternative, they may describe a time when they experienced or observed unfairness and how they responded or wished they had responded as a philanthropist.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark MS.1 Define philanthropy as individuals and organizations providing their time, talent, and/or treasures intended for the common good throughout history and around the world. Give examples.
Benchmark MS.4 Give examples of how individuals have helped others.