Music and Fairness in a Round
Learners meet in a "round" to discuss issues of fairness and the common good. They explore how downloading music for free affects the common good. They brainstorm other issues of fairness that affect the common good.
The learner will:
- discuss issues of fairness related to the music industry and the common good.
Tell the learners that today they are going to have a round of discussions by literally sitting in a round formation and talking about issues related to fairness and the music industry with a variety of partners.
Assign half of the group to sit in a circle facing out. Assign the other half of the class to sit in an outer circle facing the first circle, with individuals paired up face-to-face. Give them questions to discuss one at a time. Periodically have the outer circle rotate clockwise so individuals have various discussion partners.
Procedure: Read a question, have the learners facing each other discuss the topic for one minute, and then call"time" and have a quick debrief of the question with the whole group.
- What is justice?
- How is paying for music downloads an example of justice?
- How is the fair practice of paying for music downloads benefit musicians and everyone (the common good)?
- How does stealing music affect the artists and the common good?
- What issues of justice and fairness are present in our school?
- What other issues of justice and fairness affect the common good [promoting the welfare of the community]?
As an exit ticket, learners write a sentence describing their reactions to the following statement:" Issues of fairness and justice affect the whole community, not just the individuals involved."
They write on an index card and hand to you as they walk out the door.
Strand PHIL.I Definitions of Philanthropy
Standard DP 01. Define Philanthropy
Benchmark MS.1 Define philanthropy as individuals and organizations providing their time, talent, and/or treasures intended for the common good throughout history and around the world. Give examples.
Benchmark MS.4 Give examples of how individuals have helped others.
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 01. Self, citizenship, and society
Benchmark MS.4 Describe the characteristics of someone who helps others.