What Is it Like Having Recently Come to the United States as a Child?
In this episode of the Kids Are Philanthropists too! podcast, we explore what it is like to recently arrive in the United States as a child.
Our host is Amy Neugebauer with 11-12-year-old co-hosts Jayden, Alona, Leo, Ismahil, Ibrahim, and Sam, all part of The Giving Square community.
Our special guest is Marjorie, a young immigrant from Guatemala. Special thanks to Moira Barutta for translating during the interview.
Learners will know and be able to
- speak with respect and empathy about refugee and immigrant experiences.
- name some challenges that children who are refugees experience.
- Lubna and Pebble by Wendy Meddour (author) and Daniel Egnéus (Illustrator) literature guide
- A Different Pond by Bao Phi (author) and Thi Bui (Illustrator) literature guide
- La Frontera by Deborah Mills (author) and Alfredo Alva (author) and Claudia Navarro (Illustrator)
- Gibberish by Young Vo
- Drawn Together by Minh Le (author) and Dan Santat (illustrator) literature guide
- Muhammad Najem, War Reporter by Muhammad Najem (author) and Nora Neus (author) and Julie Robine (Artist)
Learn about an organization that helps people get settled in the U.S.
How can listening to stories of kids and families who are new to the country make it easier to be available for the kindness they may need?
- What was Marjorie's expectation of the U.S before she came? How was it different than she expected?
- Why does she live far from some family members?
- What would you like about moving to a new country? What would you miss? What foods would you miss?
- Have you ever been in a situation in which you didn't understand the language? What was that like?
- What are ways that Marjorie demonstrates that she is very resilient?
- Imagine Marjorie was a new classmate at your school. What are some ways you could help her?
- Listen to or read additional first-person narratives.
- Learn about a local nonprofit that helps children get settled. Find out how kids and families can get involved.
- Listen to our latest podcast.