Writing A Grant
To organize and write a grant proposal to complete an identified service project.
The learners will:
- work with the class to write a section of a grant proposal
- brainstorm a project budget.
- participate in a community service project
- Grant proposal form (Obtain from the local Community Foundation Youth Advisory Committee)
- Chart paper
Anticipatory Set:Ask students what the next step is in carrying out their service project. If no one remembers that writing a grant is the next step, then guide them in reviewing what has been done so far. Tell them that you have the grant proposal form and that you will fill in the information together.
Using the grant proposal form, go through item by item and ask students to respond to the questions or information requested.
- Guide the students as they do the math problem solving in order to develop an accurate budget.
- Write the answers or responses on the chart paper.
- Ask for volunteers to write the information on the actual grant proposal form.
- Mail or deliver the completed grant proposal form and wait patiently. (You may wish to mark the date on the calendar when the grant proposals will be reviewed so that the students have an idea as to how long they must wait. Some YAC’s may require a presentation as part of the application process grant application.)
- When you receive the grant, be sure to write a thank you to the Foundation Youth Advisory Committee. Also be sure to credit them in any publicity regarding your service project. Usually a final report is requested after completion of a grant-funded project. This is good public relations and a way to ensure consideration for further grants.
- Carry out the service project.
Teacher observation of students during the class discussion as well as the finished grant proposal will be a good assessment of their understanding.
The service project, which the class has determined, will be the experiential component.
Strand PHIL.II Philanthropy and Civil Society
Standard PCS 04. Philanthropy and Geography
Benchmark E.2 Identify and describe how civil society organizations help the community.
Strand PHIL.IV Volunteering and Service
Standard VS 04. Raising Private Resources
Benchmark E.4 Set a fund-raising goal and identify sources of private funds.
Standard VS 05. Integrating the Service Experience into Learning
Benchmark E.2 Evaluate progress on the service-learning project before, during, and after the project.