Groups Work on Solutions
Students form groups, sign group agreements, delegate tasks, and begin forming their service-learing project proposal. The teacher provides mini-lessons to individuals, as needed, who bring information back to groups on presentation skills, budgeting, and service-learning procedure.
The learner will:
- select the service project based on interests, abilities, and research.
- identify outcomes from the service.
- collaborate with group members to develop an effective service-learning project.
student copies of the three handouts
Note: The term "workshop" refers to mini-lessons provided by the teacher, as needed.
- budget (n): the total amount of money allocated for a certain purpose including both income and expenditures
- collaborate (v): to cooperate or work with another person or organization
- service-learning: goes beyond volunteerism, community service and youth service by connecting the service to the school curriculum and by requiring students to reflect on the meaning they attach to the service they performed
Form small groups of students who work together to determine the service-learning projects. Use these group contracts to add structure to the groups and give them a better chance of success.
Hand out the packet of worksheets and briefly discuss the process of completing the group agreement. Give an overview of how the groups use the worksheets to assist in delegating tasks.
Allow the students time to complete the worksheets in their small groups.
The teacher teaches mini-lessons to select individuals while the rest of the group begins outlining the project. They outline details about budget, scope of project, action steps, and presentation media to be used.
The goal of groups before the end of this class period is to decide what service-learning project they will be presenting.
Strand PHIL.IV Volunteering and Service
Standard VS 02. Service and Learning
Benchmark MS.1 Select a service project based on interests, abilities and research.
Standard VS 05. Integrating the Service Experience into Learning
Benchmark MS.3 Identify outcomes from the service.