Reflecting and Sharing
In response to activities that show empathy to self and others, participants reflect on roles of individuals in the communities to which they belong. They write a letter to thank someone and draw a picture that highlights the traits that make each member of the group special within the group.
- Draw a picture of a group or family, labeling each person with a trait that describes them.
- Write and send a friendly letter.
With an adult, draw a picture of the members of the family and label each person with one or more traits. Alternatively, it could be a chart or a mind map.
How does an individual use personal interests and strengths to impact the common good?
As a group, review the activities of the unit - simple machines as the unique parts of the whole, the personal star traits, and self-portraits. Discuss what these have in common. Discuss the importance of self-empathy and valuing our role in our family, group, team, community, or world.
Each person writes a friendly letter to a family member describing their personal traits, the traits of the others in the group or family, and what makes the different traits work together well for the good of all. This is a description and reflection in the form of a friendly letter.
- Review the elements of a friendly letter.
- Write a rough draft of the letter.
- Pair with another to read aloud letters and get feedback -- two positive things noticed and one thing it makes you wonder. Make revisions or edits to writing.
- Trade letters to proofread.
- Make final copies on nice paper to bring home.
With an adult at home or in another group, draw a picture of the members of the family or group and label each person with one or more traits. Alternatively, it could be a chart or a mind map. Discuss the final image and words with the whole group.
Strand PHIL.IV Volunteering and Service
Standard VS 05. Integrating the Service Experience into Learning
Benchmark E.2 Evaluate progress on the service-learning project before, during, and after the project.
Benchmark E.3 Identify outcomes from the service.