Service Sparks: Boost Happiness with Art
Acts of Kindness
Community Service Project
Ignite meaningful action that lights up the world through "Service Sparks" youth projects! Lift others’ spirits with kind messages and art in windows and on sidewalks. Back up your kind messages with a little investigation of what makes people happy.
Ignite meaningful action that lights up the world through "Service Sparks" youth projects!
If you want to uplift your neighbors with meaningful messages that really touch people's hearts, then first spend a little time investigating what people care about.
- Call neighbors, friends, or family members and ask, “What simple thing makes you happy?” Gather ideas. It may be hot coffee, sunshine, a quote from a favorite book, or the sound of a child’s laughter.
- Use the ideas you collected to inspire you with words and images. Use art materials to make a window sign or sidewalk art. Add a kind quote or words of love.
- Display your art in view of people who walk by to brighten their day.
- Learn more with a Learning to Give lesson Neighborhood Interviews
Reflection: Talk with someone in your family about how gathering information helped you make your messages better. What other ways can you do research?
Explore more Service Sparks projects:
Learning to Give ...
- educates youth about philanthropy, the civil society sector, and the importance of giving their time, talent and treasure for the common good (knowledge),
- equips youth by encouraging philanthropic behavior and experience (skills), and,
- empowers youth to take voluntary citizen action for the common good in their classrooms, lives and communities (behavior).